Visit the Grand Traverse Lighthouse Museum and Leelanau State Park
Enjoy a walk through the restored keeper’s dwelling and climb the tower for a spectacular view of Lake Michigan, Cathead Bay, Grand Traverse Bay and the Manitou Passage. Visit the Fog Signal Building and tour the Lake Michigan Air Craft Carrier Exhibition, drive the Remote Operated Vehicle (ROV) and hear the Fog Horn (Saturdays-June, July & August).
Take the kids on a treasure hunt through the lighthouse and choose a special gift from the treasure chest. Get an “I Climbed the Tower Certificate” for making the trek up the 50′, 1858 Lighthouse tower. If you are a girl or boy scout, get a patch that is UNIQUE to the Leelanau Peninsula and to your Scout! Come to our Gift Shop and purchase the Grand Traverse Lighthouse Museum Badge Packet For $10.00 suitable for both our Boy Scout and Girl Scout visitors! This packet will include your activity and your patch.
Location & Directions
The Grand Traverse Lighthouse is located in northern Michigan at the tip of the Leelanau Peninsula, 9 miles north of Northport, and inside the Leelanau State Park. Take M-22 from Traverse City to Northport. Then follow the “Lighthouse” signs through Northport on M-204 which flows into Lighthouse Pt. Rd. Continue on Lighthouse Pt. Rd. following the ”Leelanau State Park” signs to the very end. We are 35 miles north of Traverse City. If you have any question prior to your visit, please contact us at 231-386-7195.
Lighthouse & Gift Shop Hours
We are open daily from May through October and weekends in November.
- May, September, October, November (12 noon to 4 pm)
- June, July, August (10 am to 5 pm)
Leelanau State Park (MI DNR)
Leelanau State Park is comprised of 1,300 acres of beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline and woods. Leelanau State Park offers 55 rustic campsites, three mini cabins, 8.5 miles of hiking/skiing trails and a picnic area all managed by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Enjoy hiking, swimming, sunsets, fishing, nature observation, in the park and many popular attractions within a short drive.
Reservations for the campground can be made by calling 1-800-447-2757 or online at www.midnrreservations.com. To contact the Leelanau State Park directly please contact Lead Worker, Stephanie Rosinski at 231-386-5422.
Grand Traverse Lighthouse Museum
GPS Address: 15500 N. Lighthouse Pt. Road, Northport, MI 49670
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 43, Northport, MI 49670
Lighthouse Phone: 231-386-7195
Gift Shop Phone: 231-386-9145
GPS LAT/LON: N45.21 W85.55
Handicapped parking is available in the Leelanau State Park parking lot, which is just a short distance walk to the Lighthouse. Both the State Park and Grand Traverse Lighthouse have wheelchairs available for use, upon request. A 20-minute, orientation video is available in the gift shop for viewing on the large screen tv.
- The Lighthouse is not wheelchair accessible. There are five (5) steps up the porch into the visitor center/admissions area. This is the main floor of the keeper’s dwelling. There is a staircase from the first floor to the second floor with 12 steps. Then 10 spiral steps into the tower landing. From there is steep set of stairs that go into the lighthouse tower. All stairs are equipped with handrails. For those unable to make the trip to the tower, a webcam, located on the tower is available for viewing in the gift shop.
- The Fog Signal Building and Gift Shop are handicapped accessible.
- A large-print, self-guided walking tour is available at the Visitor Center. The self-guided tour is available in English, German, French, Spanish and Japanese.
For the safety of our visitors, we only allow 4-5 people in the tower at a time. Please duct your head when ascending into the tower, through the hatch. Face the ladder when coming down backwards (similar to descending a ladder). Hold the hand railings at all times with two hands. You must remove all backpacks before going through the hatch into the tower.